Where I come from, men pick up the tab. They get “seemingly” offended if you even try to get the bill yourself. Offering to split it is out of question as you are immediately labelled as cheap: either pay it all up or shut up and let it be paid. My culture, however, is not my reference but the years of working with individuals and couples on relationships is.
I remember talking to a friend from Montreal years ago and her complaining that men from Quebec don’t offer to pay the bill. This was a turn off for her and she felt that, if they were not going to pay, she wouldn’t give them the time of the day. I could relate to what she was saying as all throughout college and even graduate school, I really wanted and liked it when men picked up the tab when I went out with them. The only difference was, I never waited for them to do it, I always offered to pay my part.you
Here is what I think some women don’t get: men are human beings too and in the game of dating, it’s often not so much that they can’t pick up the tab, it’s that when they don’t just go for it, it tells them if the woman who is with them is just along for a free ride or she cares about him more deeply. Whether or not you pay your part shows that. And while so many women out there are coaching you on how to get the most out of men, here are 10 solid reasons to pay for your own shit:
- When you pick up your part, it shows you wanted to be there, you are willing to invest your time and money to spend the time with person. While you may split or cover the bill once, doing it the second time is a proof of commitment: putting your money where your mouth is, so to speak
- You prove that you can’t be bought, you can order what you wish knowing you are treating yourself fully to this enjoyment. If you are prepared to pay for it, you will never be disappointed
- You release the attachment and the desperation that comes from waiting for someone to pick up your bill or wondering throughout your time together about who will get it at the end
- You prove yourself to be feminist, that woman have a voice and can make all decisions the same way men can. After all, aren’t most of us always trying to prove this to the world
- You are energetically invested, when you pay up, there is no guilt or even a remote wonder if you need to do something in return. Your bills are paid and all is squared, everything that comes after that is a choice
- Men are impressed by women who take care of themselves and real men will respect it, even if they insist on paying
- You will release all those men who think their money can buy you and your attention, you will not be their player, you will be your own
- You will know if you want to do this again, because when it hurts your wallet, you get to be more mindful of how and with whom you spend your time
- You will leave the guy with an impression that you are stable, responsible, dependable and he will think much more highly of you
- You will never have an experience that you sold out for a glass of wine, or a 10 course dinner; no matter how big or small it is, selling out is selling out.
Hope these reasons make you reconsider waiting for a guy to pick up a tab. Nobody is born in service of you. This is such an archaic way of thinking and people who expect it are bound to be disappointed. The more you expect the less you have ownership over your life and what happens in it. When you take care of yourself, do your part, everything else is a bonus, it becomes much easier to live in gratitude and that is the energy that attracts men, money and good things your way. Which one will you choose?